Senior Manager, Market Shaping (COVID-19 & HPV) – Temporary – Switzerland
Guided by the “Gavi Market Formation Strategy 2021-25” (https://www.gavi.org/our-alliance/market-shaping), the Market Shaping Team contributes to the achievement of Gavi’s mission by working to improve the health of markets for vaccines and other immunization products, thereby making these lifesaving products more accessible and affordable for countries in need. low income. The team develops and coordinates the implementation of evidence-based Alliance market strategies to meet the needs of Gavi countries. Three general objectives include:
• Ensure sustainable and healthy market dynamics for vaccines and vaccine-related products at affordable prices,
• Encourage innovation for the development of suitable vaccines,
• Scaling up innovative vaccine-related products.
Gavi’s mandate to shape the market focuses on 74 low-income countries, with the goal of ensuring a strong foundation of healthy market dynamics, building market resources and supporting countries’ self-reliance after the transition to terms of supply and supply results.
Gavi’s commitment to COVID-19: As of May 2022, 519 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally, including 6 million deaths, have been reported to WHO. In partnership with WHO, the PAHO Revolving Fund, and UNICEF, Gavi and CEPI co-lead COVAX, the vaccine pillar of the Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator. This involves coordinating the COVAX Facility, a global risk-sharing mechanism for pooled procurement and equitable distribution of COVID-19 vaccines. By July 2022, COVAX had delivered 1.57 billion doses to protect people in 145 countries.
Gavi is beginning to explore how COVID-19 vaccination and COVAX learnings will come together in Gavi’s 5.0 core strategy and operating model. The design of a potential Gavi-supported COVID-19 program from 2023 will be informed by the latest scenarios on the evolution of the pandemic and the recommendation provided by WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts (SAGE). Gavi’s program design would consider financial implications, risks and trade-offs associated with different vaccination strategies, as well as implications for Gavi’s programmatic policies and market formation. In preparation, Gavi and its partners have launched the development of the market shaping strategy and will soon release a strategic roadmap to coordinate market shaping activities.
Gavi’s commitment against HPV: Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection is the leading cause of cervical cancer, killing 311,000 women each year, mostly in low-income countries. Safe and effective HPV vaccines can prevent up to 90% of all cases of cervical cancer. HPV has the highest impact of Gavi’s current vaccine portfolio and is integral to other Gavi5.0 and IA2030 priorities, including contributing to gender equity, strengthening adolescent immunization platforms to lifelong immunization and contributing to lessons on integrating immunization into primary health care. .
In 2016, the Gavi Board approved an accelerated HPV vaccination program to protect more girls from cervical cancer and avert more deaths by 2020. goal has been reduced. Global supply availability is now improving and in 2022 the Gavi Board will consider how to relaunch the program, as a key priority for Gavi.
Please note that this is a temporary role until October 31, 2023.
Part of the Gavi Secretariat Market Shaping team led by the Market Shaping Manager reporting to the General Manager Vaccine Markets and Health Security.
The role takes primary responsibility for shaping the market to improve the health of a subset of the Gavi-supported vaccine markets (COVID-19 and HPV) and will become the expert and focal point for the Gavi Secretariat in these markets . The role will also act as a relationship manager for a portfolio of vaccine manufacturers.
• Leads the development of Alliance-wide market-shaping strategies for an assigned portfolio of Gavi-supported vaccines (COVID-19 and HPV) in line with Gavi’s market-shaping strategy;
o Develops/updates market shaping roadmaps, in collaboration with Alliance partners
o Oversees the implementation of the above strategies and underlying action plans;
Ensures regular updates and information sharing with internal and external releveling stakeholders;
Manages stakeholder accountability for assigned market shaping interventions;
Reports on progress against target results, interventions and evaluation criteria;
o Establishes collaborative and productive engagement with a wide range of stakeholders, including procurement agency, industry and other Alliance partner counterparts;
o Ensures procurement agency strategies, tenders and supply agreements are aligned with long-term market strategies;
o Ensures that information resources and tools are kept up to date.
• Gavi Market Shaping focal point for the transition of COVAX’s COVID-19 program to Gavi Core programs
• Gavi focal point for certain industry relations
o Manages informal and formal points of contact, in coordination with internal and external stakeholders
o Ensures key information is shared in a timely manner
• Other tasks will be assigned according to the needs of the team.
• Degree in life sciences, public health, business administration or economics; • Masters, PhD, MPH, MBA or similar business qualification an advantage.
• Minimum of 8 years of professional experience: o Vaccine, pharmaceutical or biological industry (commercial, comics, technical, etc.), o Consulting in life sciences management, financing, investment, etc. • Demonstrated operational track record of excellence in delivering results; • The experience of the multilateral partner and/or the developing country is an advantage.
• Seeking results: o Entrepreneurial spirit: owns and takes the initiative, and makes things happen; o Execution and delivery oriented; meets deadlines; o Commits to achieving organizational goals. • Analytical: o Excellent skills in quantitative analysis; o High level use of Excel to build appropriate models; • Collaboration and Strategy: o Demonstrated ability to develop strategic approaches and follow through to implementation with various collaborators; o Demonstrated ability to work across institutional or team boundaries, establish harmonious working relationships and utilize the expertise of colleagues productively; o Ability to facilitate workshops and find common ground when leading large groups with competing priorities. • Communication: o High level of persuasive communication and presentation skills, including advanced PowerPoint skills; o Demonstrated ability to structure and communicate complex information effectively; • Industry expertise preferred: o Preferably good understanding of the underlying economics, business models and financial basis of the vaccine industry; o Preferably good understanding of the biological basis and production/supply chain of the vaccine industry. o Demonstrated ability to work across institutional or team boundaries, establish harmonious working relationships and utilize the expertise of colleagues productively; o Ability to facilitate workshops and find common ground when leading large groups with competing priorities. • Communication: o High level of persuasive communication and presentation skills, including advanced PowerPoint skills; o Demonstrated ability to structure and communicate complex information effectively; • Industry expertise preferred: o Preferably good understanding of the underlying economics, business models and financial basis of the vaccine industry; o Preferably good understanding of the biological basis and production/supply chain of the vaccine industry.
• English proficiency ; • Other desirable languages, in particular French.
• Gavi Secretariat; • Vaccine and pharmaceutical industry; • UNICEF; • World Health Organization; • The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; • countries eligible for Gavi; • The Global Fund; • The World Bank.
How to register
If you would like to apply, please provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae via our Careers page and apply by clicking on “Senior Manager, Market Shaping (COVID-19 & HPV) -Temporary” The application deadline is October 20, 2022.
Please note that as a vaccine organization and in order to ensure duty of care to its employees, Gavi requires new employees to confirm that they are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 as a condition of continuing employment with us. You can find out more by visiting this link.
Be part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates on our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork
To support Gavi’s commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion, we hire globally and welcome applications regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, sex, gender identity or expression, physical characteristics, race, religion, spirituality or sexual orientation. . Gavi has zero tolerance for sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, and any form of discrimination or harassment. Everyone at Gavi is expected to conduct themselves with integrity and respect for one another. Gavi is committed to creating a safe and professional working environment, which is why all selected candidates will be subject to rigorous reference checks. Read more here.
Gavi brings together the public and private sectors to save lives and protect people’s health by increasing the equitable and sustainable use of vaccines against 18 infectious diseases. You will join an organization at the center of the international response to COVID-19, at the most critical time in global health in a lifetime. You will work in a culturally diverse environment with over 70 nationalities. You will collaborate with partners such as the WHO, UNICEF, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the World Bank – and business, civil society and government. And you’ll work at the first global health organization to receive gender-equal pay certification. Your unique experience, skills and talents can help us achieve our vision of leaving no one behind without the life-saving power of vaccines.